Saturday 25 January 2014

Brats and Communist China

There are certain things you don't count on when you go a year to Spain...getting a wicked cold is one of them. I'm super stuffed up this week, and it's making it an extra struggle to get to work and to be away from home. But I press on because these are not real problems.

I have this one class who are, to be politically correct, a bunch of brats. Now don't get me wrong, they're lovely kids, they have just never been told "No." in their lives. This made me think of my own upbringing. I don't easily throw around the word "oppression", but the Good Lord knows that I was told "No." as a child. Mum/Dad I'm toootes joking about the oppression comment. Please don't get the wooden spoon. Anyway, my point is that I am beyond grateful for my childhood/upbringing. I was given an all-access pass to one thing, and it was love. I definitely didn't see it at the time, and I definitely gave my parents a hard time, but looking back I know that everything has formed me into who I am today. So I guess this one goes out to the parents who know when to say "No." And the kids/teenagers who think they're living in Communist China...just deal with it and trust them, man.

This week, I thought I'd share something I wrote a while ago. To understand this, you need to know that I've always found it easy to be creative when there are no boundaries. This means sometimes I start writing and never finish. It also means I write things at times from the viewpoint of my younger self. This is one of those and as I read it back, I realised that it perfectly represents that moment in my life when I decided that I want to live for God. The Dr. Seuss-esque rhyme makes it seem quite juvenile but I think that's the intention. I think it expresses the vulnerability of a young person, for whom nothing is certain, suddenly realising that there is one certainty in life. I'm saying this, but I definitely didn't think this much about it while writing it...anyways, without further ado, here it is.


Ode to The Moments

There are moments in life where I stop and I think,
There’s me and there’s God and there seems no link,
Then a moment follows where I stop in my tracks,
Realising what He’s done I need to give back.

I grow from each moment with time and with hope,
And even when I’m at the end of my rope,
I call upon God for He’s the only one,
Who saves me each time with the power of His Son.

The power to remind me of all of the love,
He showed me when He sent His Son from above.
The power when He says it was all for you,
That His sacrifice should strengthen and renew.

These moments I live I wouldn’t take back.
When He’s at my side with a hand on my back,
Nudging me on to the goal He set out,
The life that I’m worth, another step on the mount.

And so I press on with my heart set on Him,
For the one who forgave me my every last sin.
To Him be the honour of all of my life,
And to Him be the thanks for His aid in my strife.


Thanks for reading. Until next time, Dios te bendiga,

Eilidh

No comments:

Post a Comment